This week: Larry Heard, 51st State, Lovebox, Bestival, IMS Summit, Chase & Status, MDRNTY, Ushuaïa opening, fabric, Mella Dee and much, much more
1. Deep house originator Larry Heard [pictured] is set to release his first album under his Mr Fingers guise in 24 years. Due on his own Alleviated Records label on 13 April, Cerebral Hemispheres is the long-awaited follow-up to 1994's Back To Love - and Heard's first long-player of any kind since 2005's Loose Fingers.
2. And there was more good news for lovers of traditional US house sounds this week, with the announcement of the line-up for this year's 51st State festival. Masters At Work, Body & Soul, Derrick May, Derrick Carter, Todd Terry, Dimitri From Paris, John Morales, Soul Clap and Todd Edwards are among those headed to London's Trent Country Park on 4 August.
3. 51st State wasn't the only UK festival announcing its line-up this week. Lovebox (Gunnersby Park, London, 13-14 July) has Skepta, Childish Gambino, N*E*R*D, Bicep, Jackmaster, Peggy Gou, Floorplan, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Annie Mac and Kerri Chandler B2B Jeremy Underground, while a few weeks later this year's Bestival (Lulworth Estate, Devon, 2-5 August) can boast Bicep, Hot Chip, 2Bears, Denis Sulta, Faithless, Goldie, Honey Dijon, Matt 'Jam' Lamont, Norman Jay, Thundercat and David Rodigan, as well as live performances by two legendary divas - Grace Jones and Chaka Khan.
4. Meanwhile over in the US of A, the line-up for this year's Electric Daisy Carnival was also published this week. There's all the big-name EDM stars you'd expect (Diplo, Afrojack, Zedd, Kaskade, Tiësto, Hardwell, Martin Garrix, etc) but we were struck most by the talent roster on offer in the neonGARDEN arena, where you can find the likes of Gorgon City, Green Velvet, Lee Foss, Maceo Plex, Hot Since 82, Loco Dice, Latmun, Detlef and Charlotte de Witte.
5. Back on British soil, Mella Dee is taking his All Night Long party on tour, starting at Stealth in Nottingham on 24 February before moving on to The Night Kitchen, Sheffield (10 March) Hangar, London (23 March) and Hidden, Manchester (27 April).
6. fabric have added new dates to their recently launched Forms series of Friday night parties, with six more events in April, May and June featuring the likes of Amine Edge & DANCE, Mat.Joe, Art Department, Dana Ruh, Einzelkind, Waze & Odyssey and Edu Imbernon.
7. Over in Ibiza, this year's IMS Summit closing party at Dalt Vila on 25 May will star Sven Väth, Pete Tong, Jackmaster, Peggy Gou, Paco Osuna, Dubfire, Danny Tenaglia, Andrea Oliva and Guy Gerber, with more names still TBA.
8. Before that, the Ushuaïa opening party on 19 May has Andrea Oliva, Apollonia, Steve Lawler, Uner, Nic Fanciulli and Paco Osuna, with Oliva returning to headline once more on 26 May, this time in the company of Richie Hawtin, Maya Jane Coles, Adam Beyer and more.
9. Finally on the Ibizan tip, Chase & Status have been confirmed as residents for Together's eighth season on the island, playing 15 Tuesday night dates at Amnesia between 5 June and 18 September. Dancers out on the Terrace, meanwhile, will be in the capable hands of a rotating crew of residents that includes MK, DJ EZ, Hannah Wants, Gorgon City and Disciples.
10. That's it for White Island news but sticking with all things Spanish, Barcelona's summer party series Brunch In The City returns on 11 March with Henrik Schwarz (live), Shanti Celeste, Prins Thomas and Haai. The event will then run fortnightly until 10 June, with guests set to include Apparat, Actress x Mount Kimbie, Lil' Louis, Mr G (live), Leon Vynehall, Robert Hood, Omar S, Mr Scruff, Maya Jane Coles, Special Request, Larry Heard and many more.
11. Ricardo Villalobos and Black Coffee have been confirmed as headliners for the second edition of rave cruise MDRNTY. This year's cruise departs from Genoa on 10 June and visits Sardinia and Corsica before returning to Genoa on 13 June, with tickets starting at €689 per person based on four people sharing a cabin. Also on the bill are Apollonia, Stephan Bodzin, Osunlade and Patrice Baumel, among others.
12. Over in Miami, this year's Miami Music Week is to be enlivened by a 24-hour party called Cuttin Headz at Club Space on 25 March that will see The Martinez Brothers and Marco Carola playing back-to-back - though presumably not for the full 24 hours.
13. Finally, remember 'blog house' - the mid-00s, post-nu rave, post-electroclash, rock-dance-electro fusion spearheaded by the likes Justice, Ed Banger Records, Erol Alkan and New Young Pony Club? We'd actually sooner forget about it, if we're being honest... but if you disagree then here's a book on Kickstarter that you might wanna get behind.
Tags: Larry Heard, Mr Fingers, 51st State, Masters At Work, Lovebox, Bestival, Electric Daisy Carnival, Mella Dee, fabric, IMS Summit, Dalt Vila, Ushuaïa, Andrea Oliva, Chase & Status, Together, Brunch In The City, MDRNTY, Ricardo Villalobos, Black Coffee, Miami Music Week, Club Space, Martinez Brothers, Marco Carola, blog house, Skepta,Bicep, Jackmaster, Peggy Gou, Floorplan, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Annie Mac, Kerri Chandler, Jeremy Underground,Hot Chip, 2Bears, Denis Sulta, Faithless, Goldie, Honey Dijon