Featuring Mala, Todd Edwards, B.Traits, Aphex Twin, Tale Of Us, Tomorrowland, DJ Shadow and much, much more...
1. Remember we told you earlier this summer about Deep Medi 10, the 10th birthday party for Mala's Deep Medi Musik label taking place at Electric Brixton on 1 October? Details were patchy then, but now the full line-up has now been announced, with A/T/O/S, Goth-Trad, Jack Sparrow, Kahn, Neek and of course Mala himself [pictured] all set to appear. Bass in your face, London!
2. With ADE coming up, Amsterdam's club scene seems to be on the roll right now. After we told you last week about new club Claire, the city's getting another new venue in the form of Shelter, a 700-capacity basement which opens its doors to welcome Jackmaster and Moodymann on 20 October, while relatively recent arrival De School has announced a marathon 48-hour party to take place during ADE week. If only London's licensing authorities could be as forward-thinking...
3. On which note, there's more doom and gloom on the capital's nightlife scene with news reaching us that, following the closure of fabric, Notting Hill nightspot MODE is also facing a review of its licence. MODE only opened in 2014, FFS... are we all just supposed to be tucked up in bed by midnight or what? Sort it Saddiq, please!
4. Speaking of fabric, US garage legend Todd Edwards played there a few years back, and made an intro track especially for the night called I Want To Be In Fabric. Now, to show his solidarity with the campaign to save the club, he's made that track available to the public as a free download. It's an oddly folk-tinged affair, and you can grab it here.
5. Radio 1 fave B.Traits is launching her own house and techno label, In Toto. The new imprint will debut with the label boss's own Still Point EP on 7 October, which is her first foray into production for four years.
6. Looking over to the US, Aphex Twin is to play his first US gig since 2008 in December. He'll be headlining the Day For Night festival, which takes place in Houston on 17/18 December, joined on the bill by Squarepusher, Nick Murphy (aka Chet Faker), Kaskade, RZA ft Stone Meccas, Blood Orange, Little Dragon, Oneohtrix Point Never and many more. For full details, see their website.
7. Staying in the US a moment, Tale Of Us are taking their Afterlife parties there for the first time, following their success in Ibiza, Amsterdam, Barcelona and the UK. The debut stateside Afterlife bash will take place at Magic City Warehouse in Miami on 3 December, where your selectors for the evening will be Marcel Dettmann, Mind Against, Thugfucker and Recondite as well as the Italian twosome themselves.
8. Over in Belgium, meanwhile, the EDM-tastic Tomorrowland festival will go back to being a two-weekend affair in 2017, a format the event experimented with in 2014 but dropped in 2015 and 2016. The weekends in question are 21-23 and 28-30 July, though no line-up details have yet been announced.
9. Meanwhile in India, the Magnetic Fields festival in Rajasthan returns for its fourth year on 9-11 December. The festival takes place in and around Alsisar Mahal, a luxury hotel in a 17th Century palace, and Floating Points, Roman Flügel and Pinch are among those set to appear, alongside a host of local talent. Full details can be found here.
10. Tim Lawrence, author of the definitive disco history Love Saves The Day, has a new book coming out on 30 September. The snappily-titled Life And Death On The New York Dance Floor 1980-1983 examines the history of Big Apple nightlife in the heady post-disco, pre-house era, when the likes of Danceteria, Mudd Club and the Paradise Garage ruled the roost.
11. DJ Shadow's classic Endtroducing... album is getting the remix treatment for the first time, to mark the 20th anniversary of its original release. Those given the honour of taking on this somewhat daunting task include Hudson Mohawke and young hip-hop producer Clams Casino.
12. And speaking of big albums there's been no shortage of announcements this week, so look out for: M.A.N.D.Y's debut (!) album Double Fantasy (Get Physical, 11 November); Mattias Tanzmann's secong album Momentum (Moon Harbour, 7 October); Justice's long-awaited third album Woman (Ed Banger, late 2016); Falty DL's sixth album Heaven Is For Quitters (Blueberry Records, 21 October); and finally a return by Robert Babicz to ambient music, A Moment Of Loud Silence, which drops on Traum Schallplatten on 7 October.
Tags: Mala, Deep Medi, Electric Brixton, Goth-Trad, A/T/O/S, ADE, Amsterdam, Jackmaster, Moodymann, MODE, Notting Hill, Todd Edwards, fabric, Radio 1, B. Traits, In Toto, Aphex Twin, Day For Night, Houston, Tale Of Us, Afterlife, Miami, Marcel Dettmann, Thugfucker, Recondite, Tomorrowland 2017, India, Magnetic Fields, Floating Points, Roman Flügel, Pinch, Tim Lawrence, Danceteria, New York, DJ Shadow, Hudson Mohawke, M.A.N.D.Y, Matthias Tanzman, Get Physical, Moon Harbour, Justice, Ed Banger, Falty DL