Starring DJ Harvey, fabric, Nile Rodgers, Leftfield, [scru], DJ Rebekah, Claude VonStroke and much, much more!
1. After returning to the club for the first time in over 15 years in 2016, DJ Harvey [pictured] is now set to host a series of four special events at Ministry Of Sound, where he was one of the original residents when the club first opened back in 1991. At all four events, Harvey will play all night in The Box and curate the line-up in the other rooms, with the first party in the series taking place on 8 April. The dates for the other three shows in summer, autumn and winter have not yet been revealed.
2. The first towns and cities that will get new Sankeys venues and/or events as part of the #DoYouWannaSankeys campaign have been revealed. Birmingham, Newcastle, Stoke, Torquay and Kent are all now in line for a dose of Sankeys magic, with Belfast, Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff and Sheffield also polling strongly.
3. BBC TV is to broadcast a three-part documentary documenting the life and career of Chic legend Nile Rodgers. Nile Rodgers: Lost In Music will be shown on BBC Four in April. In other screen news, a documentary about the grime scene called Pirate Mentality can be watched on the Channel 4 website right now, while a documentary about the early days of the Irish rave scene called Notes On A Rave debuted at the Audi Dublin International Film Festival this very evening, with another showing due to place at the city's Light House Cinema on Sunday.
4. Claude VonStroke will be playing a series of six European dates this spring. His mini-tour kicks off at Pressure in Glasgow on 31 March, then moves on to Antwerp and two nights at Austria's Snowbombing festival, before returning to the UK for dates in Nottingham (Stealth, 7 April) and London (XOYO, 8 April).
5. The first line-ups have been announced for new Birmingham nightspot [scru]. The opening night on Friday 17 March will feature CASisDEAD and Manchester collective Levelz, with Valentino Kanzanyi set to headline on Saturday 18 March. Other names due to visit in March and April include Night Slugs, Robert Dietz, 808 State, Zed Bias, Mumdance, Honey Dijon, Steve Bug and Magda.
6. Also making line-up announcements this week were fabric, whose schedule for April will include visits by Depth Charge (AK UR's Mad Mike and Mark Flash), Octave One, London Elektricty, S.P.Y, Jon Hopkins, Netsky, The Martinez Brothers, Friction, Steve Rachmad, Vatican Shadow, Soul Clap, Dense & Pika, Joseph Capriati, Tantrum Desire and many more.
7. Miami is getting a new festival called Rapture. The event takes place at Virginia Key Beach from 12pm-2am on 23 March - during Miami Music Week - with an impressive line-up that includes Andhim, Art Department, Carl Craig, Ellen Allien, Fur Coat, Guy J, Hernan Cattaneo, Matthew Dear, Steve Lawler and Way Out West, with more names still TBA.
8. Speaking of festivals, more names have been announced for this year's Lovebox, which is being held in London's Victoria Park on 14/15 July. Now added to the line-up are, among others, Ricardo Villalobos, Seth Troxler, Jamie xx and Chase & Status.
9. New albums to look out for in the coming months include: a reissue of Leftfield's 1995 debut Leftism, supplied on 3xLP or 2xCD and now sporting remixes from the likes of Skream and Adrian Sherwood (Sony, 5 May); Fear Paralysis, the debut long-player from techno DJ/producer (and old friend of iDJ) Rebekah (Soma, April); and On Life, a new 23-track compilation from seminal footwork label Teklife, which has just been released.
10. London-based lovers of classic soul and jazz-funk are in for a treat on 11 May, when UK veterans Loose Ends - best known for 80s classic Hangin' On A String - perform an all-too-rare live show at 229 The Venue. The band officially split in 1990, but have since reformed spasmodically for one-off gigs like this one.
Tags: DJ Harvey, Ministry Of Sound, Sankeys, Nile Rodgers, Claude VonStroke, [scru], fabric, Miami Music Week, Rapture, Lovebox, Leftfield, DJ Rebekah, Teklife, 229 The Venue, Loose Ends, Ricardo Villalobos, Seth Troxler, Jamie xx, Chase & Status, Andhim, Art Department, Carl Craig, Ellen Allien, Fur Coat, Guy J, Hernan Cattaneo, Matthew Dear, Steve Lawler, Way Out West, Octave One, London Elektricty, S.P.Y, Jon Hopkins, Netsky, The Martinez Brothers, Friction, Steve Rachmad, Vatican Shadow, Soul Clap