This week: Andy C, DJ Spinna, John Digweed, Rinse FM, Dr Dre x Marvin Gaye, elrow, Void, Strawberry Fields, Kompakt, New Order, DGTL Barcelona and much, much more...
1. Drum & bass legend Andy C [pictured] will play all night long at the SSE Arena, Wembley on 17 November. It's the first time an all-night event has ever been staged at the arena. Tickets go on sale from 29 June.
2. Some sad news from Venezuela, where 17 people died in a stampede at the Los Cotorros nightclub, Caracas last weekend. Even more tragically, the 500 people in the club that night were attending a graduation party, and eight of the victims were under 18. It's understood that panic set in when someone ignited a tear-gas canister after a fight broke out in the club.
3. Rinse FM have had a bit of a reshuffle, resulting in new regular shows for (among others) Jackmaster, Laurel Halo, Franky Rizardo, A Guy Called Gerald, Move D, Steve Lawler and SASASAS. Click here to see the full, updated schedule.
4. Dr Dre is producing a film about the life of soul legend Marvin Gaye. Details are scarce, but we do know that the biopic has been given the go-ahead by Gaye's family, who have previously turned out down all such requests.
5. Some new and upcoming releases to look out for include... a new five-CD/triple-vinyl Live In Tokyo set from John Digweed, recorded in April and featuring over 60 tracks (Bedrock, 27 July)... Donato Dozzy's acid-flavoured third album Filo Loves The Acid which, aptly enough, will be the 303rd release from German label Tresor (13 July)... and new label comps from Kompakt (Kompakt 18, 24 August) and Len Faki's label Figure, who mark 15 years in the game with FIGURE 100 (17 September).
6. Electronic music pioneers New Order will be touring the US and Canada this autumn, with shows in St Paul, MN (23 August), Cleveland, OH (25 Aug), Washington, DC (28 Aug), Toronto, ON (30 Aug), Long Beach, CA (29 September), Kahului, HI (3 October) and Honolulu, HI (5 Oct).
7. Trance trio Above & Beyond, meanwhile, are taking their fans on holiday! In a Reddit post on Sunday they announced plans to stage their own all-inclusive mini-festival on a tropical island. Further details are still TBA but tickets - including accommodation, food and drinks, but not flights - are expected to cost around $1,500-$2,000 (£1,100-£1,500) per person.
8. Moving on to festival news, the first names were announced this week for Strawberry Fields in Australia, with Sasha, Carl Craig, Heidi, Jimpster, Honey Dijon, Blond:ish, Pearson Sound, HAAi and DJ Seinfeld among those heading to Tocumwal, NSW on 16-18 November. Elsewhere, New York's getting a brand new festival in the form of Smangtasia (20-22 July), which is brought to you by the same team behind Brooklyn's Sublimate raves, while Epizode in Vietnam returns for its third year on 28 December-8 January. And yes, that's 11 days...
9. Meanwhile it's all happening in Spain... Barcelona's Brunch In The Park announced the line-ups for their 12 parties in the city's Joan Brossa Gardens (1 July-16 September) this week, with highlights including Paul Kalkbrenner, Dave Clarke, Vitalic, Charlotte De Witte, Loco Dice, Carl Cox, Josh Wink, Marco Carola, Hector Couto, Agoria, Michael Mayer, Kölsch, Patrice Baumel, Laurent Garnier, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Ellen Allien, Âme, Tiga, Midland and The Black Madonna. Not to be outdone, DGTL Barcelona have added DJ Koze, Black Coffee, Ben Klock and Motor City to the line-up for their event on 10-11 August, while further south in Fuengirola, Into The Valley move to a new location in the ancient castle of Sohail on 28-30 September, with Phase 1 artists including Amelie Lens, Omar S, Peggy Gou and Young Marco.
10. Back indoors but staying in the Mediterranean for a minute, Void in Mykonos announced their summer schedule this week, with Guy Gerber as monthly resident and visits from the likes of Black Coffee, Serge Devant, Steve Lawler, Hot Since 82, Lauren Lane, Damian Lazarus, Âme, Seth Troxler, Jamie Jones, Martinez Brothers, Pan Pot, Dubfire, Tale Of Us and Erick Morillo.
11. Closer to home, elrow will be hosting a 10-hour Halloween party in Southampton's Mayflower Park on 20 October, although in true elrow style they've so far told us more about the decor (horror-themed, surprisingly enough) than the line-up. Tickets go on sale from 4 July.
12. Tracktion, makers of the popular Waveform DAW, unleashed an updated version of their Biotek virtual instrument this week. Biotek 2 combines sampling and synthesis in a package that's built with sound design in mind, and that's available now for $199 (or $99 if you upgrade from the original).
13. Finally, DJ Spinna - the New York turntable wizard whose sets span house, hip-hop, soul, jazz, broken beat and more - recently had to have emergency surgery for a burst appendix. That's the bad news; the good news is that a GoFundMe page set up to cover his medical costs (and to provide for his family while he's out of action) has already smashed its $60,000 target and is no longer accepting donations. Which seems like a nice heartwarming note on which to sign off for the weekend...
Andy C pic: Dan Medhurst
Tags: Andy C, Rinse FM, Dr Dre, Marvin Gaye, John Digweed, Donato Dozzy, Kompakt, New Order, Above & Beyond, Strawberry Fields, Epizode, Smangtasia, Brunch In The Park, DGTL Barcelona, Into The Valley, Void, elrow, Tracktion, DJ Spinna