This week: Andy C, Dixon, The xx, Snowbombing, #saveourculture, Jeff Mills, Daft Punk, EDC Mexico and more
1. Andy C [pictured] has a new DJ residency... at the 500-capacity XOYO in Shoreditch. The D&B legend, who's quite capable of filling 5,000+ venues on his own, will play there every Friday for 13 weeks from 6 January - and won't play any other UK gigs during that time. "Having that closeness and energy of the crowd right there within hand-shaking distance is an honour I haven't had for a while," he told UKF this week. "That sense of community is one of my fondest memories of any residency I've had."
2. With the very welcome news that fabric is to reopen after all comes the question, what will happen to all the money raised by the #saveourculture campaign? Fear not: the club has issued a transparency statement this week which says that, bar a few expenses for legal fees and campaign materials, most of the money is untouched and "will be used to help other worthy causes within the industry, including Philip Kolvin QC's pursuance of licencing reform."
3. With Australian authorities preventing drug safety charity Just One Life from setting up pill-testing booths at festivals down under this summer, the charity has announced its intention to hand out DIY drug-testing kits to festival-goers instead.
4. Dixon is to play a marathon set at Ministry Of Sound on Sunday 26 March. The party is hosted by The Hydra and will run from 5pm-2am, with the Innervisions label chief taking care of deck duties from start to finish.
5. Scottish festival T In The Park will not be going ahead in 2017, organisers have confirmed. The council-enforced move from Balado Airfield to Strathallan Castle is cited as the cause of the decisions, complicated further by the presence of an osprey's nest on the site. No, really... the bird's nest is protected by law, and trying to work around it apparently imposes "constraints - logistically and financially - that ... are simply not workable".
6. In new club news, say hello to Halycon in San Francisco and Printworks in London. The former opened (with a 24-hour licence) earlier this month, and has already welcomed the likes of Dave Seaman, Dubfire and Fritz Kalkbrenner, with DJ Sneak and Doc Martin set to play this weekend. The latter is a new 5,000-capacity ex-print works (well, duh!) in east London that will open its doors in January, and that will play host to arts events, theatre performances, fashion shows and food festivals as well as club nights.
7. Speaking of, er, DJs who are playing in California this weekend (possibly the most tenuous and tortured Weekend Primer link ever), Jeff Mills is playing at a secret location for Los Angeles promoters Oscillator tonight (25 Nov). He'll be using the show to debut an all-new live set created using Roland equipment.
8. Daft Punk have issued a set of 500 limited-edition prints of a 27x41-inch portrait of themselves by artist Warren Fu, based on their appearance in the video for recent The Weeknd collab Starboy and signed by the artist. At $140, they've sold out already so will no doubt be attracting even finer prices on eBay already...
9. The line-up has been announced for the 2017 edition of EDC Mexico. Among the 90+ DJs and live acts set to appear on 25-26 February are Sasha & Digweed, Major Lazer, MK, Danny Howard, Don Diablo, Skream, Pendulum, Yousef, Hardwell and Guy Gerber. Closer to home, the Midnight Social festival at the Kent Country Showground on 11 March has Alan Fitzpatrick, Andrea Oliva, Hot Since 82, Nic Fanciulli, Seth Troxler, Sven Väth, Steve Lawler and more.
10. The xx are to play seven nights the 02 Brixton Academy in March. Their world tour schedule already included three dates there, but by adding four more The xx become the record-holders for the most consecutive nights played at the venue, beating The Prodigy, Hard-Fi, Rammstein and Nine Inch Nails, all of whom have previously played five-night runs.
11. The dates have been announced for 2017's International Music Summit in Ibiza. The 10th annual conference will take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and venues across the island on 24-26 May and badges can be purchased now, though the line-up of speakers, panels etc is still to be announced.
12. Remember we told you a few weeks ago about the Soundcrash Funk & Soul Weekender in May? Well if you want to go, this weekend's a good time to book - tickets are down from an already reasonable £119 to a mere £99, but only till midnight on Sunday.
13. A whole bunch of new names have been added to the line-up for Snowbombing 2017 in Austria on 3-8 April. Powder-crazed attendees will now be able to check out sets from DJ Yoda, Run The Jewels, Novelist, Groove Armada, DJ Koze and Eli & Fur.
Tags: Andy C, XOYO, fabric, Just One Life, Dixon, Ministry Of Sound, The Hydra, T In The Park, Halcyon, San Francisco, Printworks, London, Jeff Mills, Oscillator, Los Angeles, Daft Punk, The Weeknd, EDC Mexico, Sasha & Digweed, Major Lazer, MK, Danny Howard, Don Diablo, Skream, Midnight Social, Hot Since 82, Nic Fanciulli, Seth Troxler, Sven Väth, Steve Lawler, The xx, Brixton Academy, The Prodigy, International Music Summit, IMS, Ibiza, Soundcrash, Funk & Soul Weekender, Snowbombing